Fancy joining The Unsigned Guide team?!
News: 20th April 2011 by Louise Dodgson under Media, Music Training & Careers
That's right, The Unsigned Guide is recruiting. Please take a look at the details below and if it sounds like it could be your cup of tea, then we'd love to hear from you!
Job title: Research Manager (Full Time)
Closing date: 18th May 2011
The Unsigned Guide is a UK music industry directory and careers guide produced specifically for emerging bands and artists, DIY musicians, music students, managers and music businesses. The Unsigned Guide contains free directory listings covering all aspects of the business from record labels, music publishers, PR companies, recording studios, managers to radio stations, venues, gig promoters, festivals and music distribution.
First published in 2003, there have been 7 printed editions of The Unsigned Guide over the years, along with an online version which became available in early 2009. Almost a decade on, we are undergoing our most significant development yet and will be switching to an online only business model with plans to unveil a new-look online directory later in the year.
We currently have a vacancy for a Research Manager to be responsible for the management and regular update of the contact listings included in The Unsigned Guide. A valuable role, you will be part of a small team and work closely with the Editor to ensure information in The Unsigned Guide is kept as current as possible and that new trends within the music industry are represented in the directory. This is a great opportunity to further develop your skills in a professional, yet friendly and relaxed working environment in our Manchester City Centre office.
Main duties and key responsibilities include:
• Organising and managing year round communication with the music industry companies & service providers listed in The Unsigned Guide in order to check, verify, and where necessary, update their directory listing details.
• Providing accurate description of the music services provided by companies listed in The Unsigned Guide.
• Providing a first point of contact for music companies enquiring about their listings.
• Dealing with submissions generated from the website from music companies requesting a free listing.
• Coordinating and train temporary staff members who will assist with listing updates and research.
• Conducting desk research into new UK music businesses for inclusion in The Unsigned Guide.
• Operating and fully utilise the web-based database of listings and email data collection system. Training will be provided on both.
• Contributing to the on-going development and refinement of The Unsigned Guide’s data collection process, and liaising with the Editor to review and develop
• Provide administrative support to the Editor where necessary.
• Degree education is preferred.
• Excellent communication & written skills with superb attention to detail in particular regards to spelling and punctuation. Good telephone manner.
• Thorough, methodical and highly organised approach to work, an ability to work well under pressure, manage your time effectively and prioritise tasks.
• Enthusiastic, self-motivated team player who is willing to contribute ideas and get stuck in!
• An interest in music and the music industry is definitely advantageous, and a willingness to learn on the job.
• Ability to work flexibly and constructively on own and as part of a team.
Hours of work are 35 hours per week, Monday to Friday from 9:30am to 5:30pm with 1 hour lunch-break. The successful candidate will need to complete a 3 month probationary period.
To apply, please email a CV and covering letter to [email protected]
the unsigned guide online, music industry contacts, music industry guide, music business, music directory